A Travellerspoint blog

London - Tuesday, 26 April 2011


Off to London again, but on the way, dropped into Windsor Post Office and posted the hat in its box, home. 9 English Pounds normal mail or 14 registered. I registered it for peace of mind, seeing it was borrowed.

We decided to go to Madame Toussards before making our way to near Trafalga Square to join our Beatles Tour at 2 pm. The queues at Madame Toussards were horrendous. The travel agent had given me the wrong advice - AGAIN!. We should have purchased our tickets before we left home and then at least we could have jumped the queue. The normal queue was two hours and that was before you even got in. So we made our way over to Trafalfa Square and saw Nelson's Column and spent a couple of hours at the National Portrait Gallery. The Tudor Section was fabulous; King Henry VIII and wives. Loved it!


We went on the Beatles Tour which was good. Our guide looked like he was left over from the sixties.


We drove around a lot of places where he would point to an upstairs apartment and say "So and so died in there of a drug overdose". It was almost getting depressing.


We called into Rolling Stone Bill Wyman's restaurant "Sticky Fingers", named after one of the Rolling Stones' albums.


We pulled up at the front of a walled garden and house, and our guide told us that Paul Macartney lived in there. It was just around the corner from Lord's Cricket Ground. The thought did cross my mind that how would we know who lived in all these places. He could be making the whole thing up. However, during the summer cricket season, someone hit a six at Lord's and the commentator said, "Well if Paul Macartney was in his front yard, he could have caught that ball", so I guess it was his house after all.


Of course the highlight of the Beatles Tour for both of us was ending up at the Abbey Road studios.


We took heaps of pictures of ourselves crossing the road at the famous pedestrian crossing. It is a normal road and motorists must get so sick of having to stop all the time for tourists walking back and forth across the crossing.


I love this photo of me with a big red London bus stopped at the crossing. I bet that driver was cursing me.


There is a CCTV camera on the crossing and you can go to the website, archive section and see yourself on the crossing - 26/4 approximately 4.22 pm. Sent some texts back to Australia about this and my buddy Karolyn Harcourt saw me at the crossing.

Before going back to Windsor, I took Peter into Harrods to look at the Food Hall. It is always amazing. The wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton was only three days away the the windows at Harrods had the most beautiful wedding cakes displayed in them. They represent famous English companies, eg Wedgwood, Mont Blanc etc. I took a photo of every window so please indulge me as I am going to down load every one into this blog. They were stunning.


I tried to book the Windsor Ghost Walk at 8.00 pm but the guy who runs it didn't reply to my message and didn't turn up at the appointed spot opposite Windsor Castle at 8, so we went into the pub instead and had dinner.


Back to the Clarence and packed up ready to leave tomorrow. How sad. Our colds are getting a bit better. Peter still has huge coughing fits in the middle of the night.

Posted by gaddingabout 02:17 Archived in United Kingdom

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint